Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 24, 2012

David Boyce? (84/366)


Well the Church theme continues.  Today Daniel and I were running some errands and on our way to Robinson, we passed this great church which I had seen previously, but had forgotten about.  I made a note to stop on our way back home.

I was on a mission for a new lens.  It was a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and I want it to shoot the altar of St. Bernard's on Monday.  The lenses I have just do not have a low enough aperture for me to capture the altar with the lighting in the Church.  We struck out at our first stop, but surprisingly found what I wanted at Best Buy.  It was a few dollars more, but I was willing to pay that for it being in stock and in my hot little hands before Monday!

So our stop on the way home was Union Presbyterian Church ( http://www.unionpresbychurch.org/ ).
What catches your eyes when you first see this church is how high it sits.  According to what I read, it's the highest point in Allegheny County.  There has been a church on this land since 1794 and this is the 4th one and was built in 1901.

I took many shots of the Church as I continued on my homework assignment (shoot BIG) but this shot of this headstone just spoke to me.  You can just barely read the name and based on similar headstones, I believe this is for a Revolutionary War Veteran.  When time permits, I think I will see what I can find out about David Boyce.  I am sure he served our country well.

So we make our stand and pray
on this Declaration Day
Give me liberty or give me death
I'll fight 'till my last breath
~Iced Earth-Declaration Day







No comments:

Post a Comment