Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2016

Three Sisters

Day 232/366

Spent the sunset on Mt. Washington with my friend Carol.  She needed a couple shots for a photo contest and I was more than happy to oblige.  While waiting for the sun to go down, I took a few photos of the view, as it never gets old and there is always some detail I missed the last time.

This time, I was paying close attention to the "Three Sisters".  The Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol and Rachel Carson were built between 1924-1928 and are the only three identical side by side bridges in the world.

The three bridges are painted with the same iconic color, a shade referred to as Aztec Gold or Pittsburgh Yellow.  Recently there was a survey done allowing the county's residents to vote about changing the color of the bridges.  With 11K responses, 83% voted to keep the bridges yellow.
Trust me, in Pittsburgh, there are no other colors!

Bridges are perhaps the most invisible form of public architecture.
~Bruce Jackson



No comments:

Post a Comment