Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Opening Day 2012 (96/366)

The day was finally here.  April 5th, 2012.  It was Opening Day of Major League Baseball and our Pirates were playing my Phillies.  The kids and I have been counting the days since the season ended last year.  Counting for many reasons.  One, for me, to see my Phillies on Opening Day and Two, for Shannon and Daniel to experience their First Opening Day.

This was only my third Opening Day but it will not be our last.  We have a new family tradition and if it means missing one day of school, so be it!

My day started at 6AM as I tried to get a few last minute things cleaned up for work.  Then it was "the perfect Opening Day Breakfast", at least in Daniel's eyes (and stomach).  Cheese omelette, 2 slices of pork roll and a bagel.   This was my way of making sure the kids did not deplete my bank account at the ball park.

We headed downtown about 10:15AM and spent the next hour or so walking the River Walk and enjoying an almost perfect Spring morning (it could have been just a wee bit warmer, but so be it.)  As we made our way down, the kids posed, ducks posed and we visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial outside of the Del Monte building.  Then Shannon and I pulled up a seat against a concrete pylon and a few moments later we were being interviewed and photographed by Trib Newspaper.  Here is the link and if you click through the photo gallery in the upper left hand corner, we are picture 12!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2NXE3B9abAUJ:www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_789993.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (under the time 12:27PM)

So it was time to get in the park and watch some baseball.  We walked the park so I could take some shots and then got lunch.  I think the kids are media magnets because during lunch, Shannon was interviewed by KDAK News.  I have not found that video yet but I will let you know when I do.

So the kids were in our seats and I was off and up for my Diamond Shot.  I do this in every stadium we go to and  at least once a year in PNC Park.  A quick visit with my friends John and Jackie and it was off to game time!  And what a game it was.  It might not have been a win (just yet) but Doc Halladay and the Phillies are no easy pill to swallow.

So we exited the park with our heads held high.  Saturday brings another day and another game.  We had a great time and are looking forward to a great season of baseball in Pittsburgh.  Now, how did I miss my knees with the sunblock.  I guess it's pants tomorrow or else I will look ridiculous!

Let's Go Bucs! (and Phillies...because either way we win!)

You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.
~Joe DeMaggio on Opening Day



No comments:

Post a Comment