Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 6, 2012

Dogwood in Blue (97/366)

Nothing like a beautiful, crisp Spring day with only a half day of work to get my "yard" on.  My lawn was way past needing a good cut and the weed whacking was beyond bad.  So after a good lunch, Daniel and I headed out.  Mowing, raking, weeding and then a good dose of Round Up...progress is being made.  Weather permitting, next weekend is major weeding in the flower beds with lots of mulch and flowers and colors.

I want to take the 50ft garden I have in my back yard and have it become my butterfly garden.  This weekend I will be researching the appropriate flowers for a butterfly garden and making my purchases throughout the week.  I have never had a green thumb but I am determined to change that.

So as I was cleaning up and putting things away, I could not help but notice how beautiful the dogwood tree in our front yard was against the blue sky.  Simplistic beauty.



The Dogwood Tree
By: Author Unknown

When Christ was on earth, the dogwood grew
To a towering size with a lovely hue.
Its branches were strong and interwoven
And for Christ's cross its timbers were chosen.
Being distressed at the use of the wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
"Not ever again shall the dogwood grow
To be large enough for a tree, and so
Slender and twisted it shall always be
With cross-shaped blossoms for all to see.
The petals shall have bloodstains marked brown
And in the blossom's center a thorny crown.
All who see it will think of me,
Nailed to a cross from a dogwood tree.
Protected and cherished this tree shall be
A reflection to all of my agony."






No comments:

Post a Comment